Foundation Relations Manager
POSITION: The Literacy Lab is seeking an organized, proactive Foundation Relations Manager to support the organization’s continued growth and sustainability. The Foundation Relations Manager is responsible for managing and growing the foundation grants portfolio in collaboration with the Director of Advancement, to support the organization’s strategic direction. This position is an excellent opportunity to join a successful nonprofit dedicated to closing the literacy achievement gap.
ABOUT THE LITERACY LAB: The Literacy Lab is a fast-paced, Washington, DC-based non-profit organization with a mission to provide low-income children with individualized reading instruction to improve their literacy skills, leading to greater success in school and increased opportunities in life. We partner with school districts to add capacity in high-need schools to close the literacy achievement gap for children before third grade.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: The Foundation Relations Manager reports to the Director of Advancement and is responsible for the following:
- Coordinates the identification, cultivation and solicitation of foundation support for programs and projects.
- Plans and manages solicitation strategies for foundation support.
- Generates and delivers well written grant proposals and reports, working with and supervising a team of grant writing consultants to ensure high-quality proposals.
- Works with program teams to cultivate relationships with foundation funding partners, and to develop grant proposals.
- Stewards relationships with foundation partners through regular communication, ensuring progress and grant reports are tracked and submitted in a timely manner.
- Conducts prospect research to identify new foundation partners and develop engagement strategies for new funders.
- Works with the organization’s leadership to identify and pursue new opportunities to promote The Literacy Lab’s mission and goals.
- Prepares and disseminates a quarterly donor newsletter and donor impact reports for major funding partners, collaborating with members of the communications, program and advancement teams as needed.
- Works with team members at the central support and regional levels to coordinate the attendance and participation of funding partners at events.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: We are seeking candidates with the following qualities:
- At least 4 years of experience in the nonprofit field, grant writing, development, or related work Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; ability to produce compelling written material
- Excellent relationship building and interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate and interact effectively with multiple constituencies both within and outside the organization
- Ability to manage projects with minimal direction, a growth mindset, and a can-do attitude
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office 2010 (or later) software, especially Word and Excel; fluency with a variety of online and technology systems
- Self-motivated, good organizational skills, detail-oriented, ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing circumstances; comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Strong problem-solving skills and a can-do attitude; up for new challenges
- Strong professional communication skills and the ability to work well with others
- Enthusiasm for The Literacy Lab’s mission
WORK LOCATION: This is a remote opportunity with occasional work-related travel. The position can be based in any of the following regions: DC, MD, VA, MO, MA, CT, PA, NJ, NY, or WI.
TRAVEL: This position may require out-of-town travel with notice for meetings, training, and staff events.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
The salary range for this position is $65,000 to $68,000. Benefits include a flexible work environment, employer-paid health and dental insurance (employee only), employer-paid short and long-term disability, employer-paid life insurance, a 403b retirement plan, and paid vacation.
APPLICATION DETAILS: Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references with contact information via email (ATTN: Foundation Relations Manager) to email@example.com.
The Literacy Lab is an equal opportunity employer. The Literacy Lab’s policy is to provide equal opportunity at all times without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, family responsibility, physical or mental disability, medication, or status as a veteran.