Marketing and Communications Manager
Position: The Literacy Lab is seeking a full-time Marketing and Communications Manager to join our team. This is an excellent opportunity to support various aspects of communications and marketing, while working for a successful non-profit.
About The Literacy Lab: The Literacy Lab is a fast-paced, Washington, DC-based nonprofit organization whose mission is to provide students in historically underserved communities with individualized reading instruction to improve their literacy skills, leading to greater success in school and increased opportunities in life. We partner with school districts to add capacity in high-need schools to close the literacy achievement gap for children before third grade.
Responsibilities: The Marketing and Communications Manager will report to the Director of Advancement in the short-term, as the organization works toward building out a communications unit, and will perform the following functions:
- Implements The Literacy Lab’s social media strategy, including scheduling posts and innovating around how to utilize social media to further the organization’s mission.
- Supports the planning, writing, and managing of various forms of digital content including blog posts and eNewsletters.
- Drafts and designs marketing material and takes ownership for managing media and material used for outreach.
- Ensures the organization’s website remains updated, and oversees the annual website audit process.
- Ensures the organization’s Guidestar and other external profiles are accurate and regularly updated.
- Supports the Advancement, Recruitment, and regional teams with event planning, including virtual events.
- Creates spaces to collaborate with regional teams by convening communications team meetings, and developing workflows and processes to facilitate collaboration.
- Manages the organization’s external stakeholder contact lists, ensuring it remains updated and organized.
- Plans and supports outreach to external audiences about The Literacy Lab’s mission.
- Collaborates with staff on new ideas for marketing and communications.
- Performs related duties as requested.
Qualifications: We are seeking candidates with:
- A college degree, preferably in a related field (for example, English, Marketing/Communications, or Public Relations). An Associates degree in a related field and/or other training in combination with relevant experience will also be considered.
- Firm grasp of social media platforms and tools.
- At least two years of related experience in marketing or communications is a plus.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office 2010 (or later) software, especially Word and Excel; fluency with a variety of online and technology systems. Knowledge of HTML and graphic design is a plus.
- Strong spoken and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated, good organizational skills, detail-oriented, ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Strong problem-solving skills and a can-do attitude; up for new challenges.
- Strong professional communication skills and the ability to work well with others.
- Enthusiasm for The Literacy Lab’s mission.
Start Date: Position open until filled.
Work Location: This position can be based at any one of The Literacy Lab’s regions- Metro DC; Virginia (including central Virginia); Kansas City, Missouri; Baltimore, Maryland; Western Massachusetts; and Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $65,000 to $70,000. Benefits include a flexible work environment, employer-paid health and dental insurance (employee only), employer-paid short and long-term disability, employer-paid life insurance, a 403b retirement plan, and paid vacation.
This position may require out-of-town travel of approximately 5-10 nights per year for training, staff events, and conferences as well as travel within the DC region to complete duties and tasks. Performance of duties may require occasional evening or weekend work.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references with contact information via email to email@example.com (ATTN: Marketing and Communications Manager).
The Literacy Lab is an equal opportunity employer. The Literacy Lab’s policy is to provide equal opportunity at all times without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, family responsibility, physical or mental disability, medication, or status as a veteran.