Via The Kauffman Foundation Blog: “Grantee Spotlight: The Literacy Lab”

The Literacy Lab partners with communities to help close the literacy gap by embedding full-time, rigorously trained literacy tutors in early childhood centers and elementary schools for one year. Sparked by a former tutor who moved to Kansas City and with the support of several local partners, The Literacy Lab launched programming in KC schools … Read more

Connected in Service

Literacy Lab PreK tutor, Ling Gao, gained insight into the Northern Virginia community she serves as a Reading Corps tutor following a TedX Arlington event on “Connectedness in the Community.” Read to learn how Ling connected the discussion to her daily service. Guest Contributor, Ling Gao, at her service site in Alexandria, VA. As a Literacy … Read more

National Poetry Month

April is National Poetry Month so we’re sharing a set of poems by a student/tutor pair from CW Harris Elementary School. Why I Like to Readby Ja’Niya (3rd Grade) I like to readIt calms me downIt gives me toolsTo learn in school My reading coach helps meWhen it gets toughBut I always try my bestAnd … Read more

The Board Masters! Making Connections at Our New School Site One Bulletin Board at a Time.

By Destiny Delaware & Lara Burt ReadingCorps K-3 Team Moten As ReadingCorps members, there were a few things at the Metro DC Reading Corps Summer Institute training in August that we learned upfront: 1)    how to do benchmark assessments and reading interventions 2)    how to make friends 3)    how complicated AmeriCorps logistics can be … Read more